Sunday, December 27, 2015

Beginning in the Middle

So, it's just after Christmas, 2015, as I write this. I was taking a shower one day last April, when an idea came to me for a novel, and with it a first line:

From a window atop a lonely tower, perched on a lonely rock at the edge of a lonely kingdom, a lonely man looked out upon a lonely land.

 There was more to it than that first line. I had an idea of who the man was. (He was the apprentice to a sorcerer.) I had an idea of what is missing in his life, even though at the beginning, he himself doesn't know. And I had an idea for an adventure he could go on in which he would find that thing which he was missing.

I also had another novel, that I was already working on. Over the next months, I began working on The Sorcerer's Apprentice (working title; maybe I should change it) As I went along, I got so caught up on it that the other project got set aside. I can't help it. I am so excited about The Sorcerer's Apprentice that I can't wait to find out all that happens and where the story goes.

As of today, my word count is 54,648, and the adventure has scarcely begun.

I have been doing a lot of research and reading. I've learned a lot. And my poor wife has had to listen to me talk about everything I have learned or discovered or created in the past seven months. Finally, I realized that what I should be doing is sharing all this out on the internet in the form of a blog, so that anyone who is interested can read what I'm doing and follow along on my exploration of this story.

Sadly, I didn't think of this seven months ago. It took until now. But it's going to be quite some time yet before the book(s) is/are ready, so there's plenty of journey still ahead. And if I can't think of anything new to blog about on a given day, I can always go back and tell you a story about something that I already discovered that went into the 54,648 words I already wrote.

So there's the project, there's the novel(s) and there's the opening line. How do you like it so far?

No comments:

Post a Comment